Makes a 23cm diameter round
140g macadamia nuts, chopped
140g walnuts, chopped
140g slivered almonds
150g pitted dates, chopped
25g desiccated coconut
75g plain flour
75g Dutch cocoa
75g icing sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp Chinese five spice
250g milk chocolate
150g apricot jam
Icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven on Top and bottom heat 170°C and grease and line a 23cm flan tin.
2. Combine all the nuts, fruit, coconut, flour, cocoa, sugar and spices in a large bowl.
3. Melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan over a low heat, add jam and brandy and mix well.
4. Add chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
5. Press panforte mixture evenly into prepared flan tin and smooth top with a dampened hand.
6. Bake for 35 minutes. Allow to completely cool before slicing. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Panforte is delicious when sliced thinly and served with coffee. Panforte is also ideal for gift-giving; cut into wedges and wrap in plastic wrap and decorate with ribbon. Panforte will keep for 2 weeks when stored in a cool, dark place.