1 hour + 3 hours refrigeration
8 to 10
50g dark chocolate
50g unsalted butter
125g caster sugar
150g self raising flour
15g cocoa powder
1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
60g caster sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
300ml thickened cream
150g dark chocolate, finely chopped
670g jar pitted Morello
50g Morello cherry jam
4 tbsp kirsch
200ml thickened cream
1 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 packet port wine jelly
3 tbsp kirsch
1. Preheat oven on Hot Air 100°C + 100% Humidity. Grease and line two 18cm cake tins.
2. Place chocolate and butter in a saucepan and melt on Induction level 2 or over low heat.
3. Place the sugar and eggs in a bowl and whisk together with a wire whisk.
4. Add the sifted flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda and mix to combine.
5. Add the melted chocolate and milk and mix until incorporated.
6. Divide the cake mixture evenly into the cake tins. Place in the oven and steam for 18 minutes. Allow cake to cool before assembling the trifle.
1. Cut each cake into 3cm rough cubes.
2. Place half of the cake into a trifle bowl. Top with half of the cherries and kirsch. Press to even out the surface.
3. Spoon over half of the custard. Top with the remaining chocolate cake, and then the cherries and kirsch.
4. Spoon over the remaining custard, smooth top and place in the refrigerator, uncovered for at least 30 minutes while making the jelly.
5. Place jelly crystals in a bowl and pour over 250ml boiling water. Stir until jelly crystals dissolve.
6. Mix in 125ml cold water and kirsch. Allow to cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes or until it reaches egg white consistency. Pour jelly on top of trifle.
7. Place trifle in the refrigerator, uncovered for 1 hour. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
1. In a bowl, whisk together sugar and cornflour, gradually whisking in milk and cream.
2. Pour into a small saucepan, stir over medium heat until custard boils and thickens.
3. Remove from heat and whisk in the chocolate. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool on the bench.
1. Combine the cherries, cherry jam and kirsch in a small bowl.
2. Cover and refrigerate until ready to assemble the trifle.
1. Whisk together the cream, sugar and vanilla extract until firm peaks form.
2. Top trifle with the cream and garnish with fresh cherries and grated chocolate.